There are many reasons for missing teeth such as gum diseases, tooth decay, broken teeth due to injury etc. However, it is important to replace missing teeth immediately to avoid the risk of bone loss due to missing teeth. Bone loss in the jaw can change the structure of your jaw and alter your facial appearance.
Dentures, bridges and dental implants are the common procedures used by orthodontists to replace missing teeth. Earlier, dentures and bridges were the sought after options but technological developments have made affordable Lehigh Valley dental implants a popular choice for orthodontists as well as the patients.
Understanding the pros and cons of dental implants will help you to make the right decision.
Pros of Dental Implants
Dental implants are screw like metal posts that are fixed inside or on the jaw. They act as anchors to the artificial abutment and crown placed on them. The popularity of dental implants is because of their many benefits such as
- Natural appearance
- Improved chewing, biting and eating functions
- Improved smile
- Increased self-esteem and confidence
- Comfort and convenience
Cons of Dental Implants
Like with any other procedure, dental implants also have some risks and side-effects. Installation of dental implants involves a jaw surgery, which involves risks such as excessive bleeding, infection and damage to surrounding structures. Some cons of dental implants are
- It is a costly process
- Not everyone qualifies to have dental implants
- You require a strong and fully developed jaw bone to undergo the jaw surgery
- If the jaw bone is not strong enough to support the surgery, you may need to undergo bone augmentation
- Some patients may require tooth extractions, which again has its own side-effects
- If not done by experienced orthodontists, the jaw surgery can damage the surrounding structures such as nerves and sinuses. This may lead to severe complications
- There is a risk of developing infections around the implant site such as periimplantitis
- Dental implants are costly and are not covered by insurance policies
You have to carefully balance the pros and cons and take a decision in consultation with your Lehigh Valley dental implants orthodontist. However, most orthodontists suggest that the success rate of implants is as high as 95 to 98%. There is very less to no chance of suffering from complications. The benefits of dental implants are far more when compared to their drawbacks.