Feet are the most neglected body part. We fail to notice any feet problems in children while taking care of their bodies. However, it is essential to take care of the feet and observe them closely in order to avoid problems at a later stage.
If you are one of the parents struggling to take care of the child’s foot health, here are some handy tips given by reputed children’s podiatrist in Sydney, to guide you in the right direction.
- Observe your newborn’s feet carefully. Look for any deformities or unusual appearance. Noticing the problems at early stages makes the treatment easy. Some conditions like clubbed feet can be treated without surgery, if they are noticed immediately after birth. Consult a children’s podiatrist in Sydney as soon as you notice any problem with the feet.
- Do not cover the baby’s feet tightly. The baby should be able to move the legs and feet freely. Free movement aids in normal development.
- Encourage toddlers and children to walk barefoot while walking indoors. Barefoot walking strengthens the muscles in the legs and feet. It also improves balance and provides gripping action to the toes.
- Observe your baby’s walking action closely. While walking on toes is perfectly normal in babies, consult a children’s podiatrist in Sydney, if you notice the child continuously walking on toes even after two years of age. Walking on toes may be a symptom of some serious nervous system disorders.
- Cut your child’s toenails regularly. Inspect for any ingrown toenails and consult a professional podiatrist, if you notice any. A simple procedure at the podiatrist’s clinic will cure the problem of ingrown toenails.
- Keep the child’s feet clean and dry at all times. This will help you to reduce the risk of fungal and bacterial infections. Infection causing germs lurk in dirty and wet feet. Dry the areas between the toes carefully.
- Most of the children’s podiatrist in Sydney, advice to buy shoes that fit perfectly. Wearing shoes of wrong sizes effects the walking style, causes infections and is uncomfortable. Measure the foot size of your child every time you buy new shoes.
- Children tend to hurt themselves often. Wash any cuts and minor injuries with clean water and cover them with bandage. Visit a children’s podiatrist in Sydney, if the injury does not heal in a few days.