3 Options For Replacing Missing Teeth And Their Pros And Cons
Missing teeth affect your self-confidence and bite function. There are many reasons for missing teeth such as gum diseases, decay, injury, accident or genetic disorders. Whatever may be the reason, it is essential to replace the missing teeth to protect the jaw bone from eroding and to improve the aesthetic appearance of the face.
No matter whether you have one missing tooth or many, there are several options available to replace missing teeth. You just have to visit an affordable dentist in Limerick or in your city to know about the different options.
It is helpful to understand the pros and cons of each option in order to choose the best option. Here are a few of them.
- Dental Implants
Dental implants is the most effective and expensive option to replace missing teeth. Implants are screw like posts that are inserted inside the jaw bone or on it. These posts act like roots for the artificial tooth inserted on them.
- They are durable
- The replacement tooth looks like natural teeth in color, shape and size
- They are strong and improve the bite and chewing function
- The adjacent teeth are not involved in the treatment process
- Requires jaw surgery, which involves certain risks
- The healing process requires several months
- Dental implants are expensive than the other options
- Fixed Dental Bridge
Fixed dental bridges are another option to replace missing teeth. They are helpful to replace one or more missing teeth in the same area. Dental bridges use the teeth adjacent to the missing tooth as supports or anchors to fit an artificial tooth. Dental bridges are made using different materials such as gold, silver and porcelain.
- Dental bridges feel and look like natural teeth
- The treatment process is faster than dental implants
- No surgery required
- They are cheaper than implants
- Adjacent teeth on both sides of the missing tooth are altered
- Cleaning underneath the bridge is difficult
- Can lead to plaque build-up and infection, if not properly maintained
- The bridge may collapse if the adjacent teeth become weak
- Removable Dentures
Removable dentures are a good option to replace missing teeth. You can either opt for complete dentures or partial dentures depending on the number of teeth to be replaced. This appliance has artificial teeth attached to a pink base. It is clasped on to your natural teeth.
- They feel like natural teeth
- They are affordable
- It is easy to repair or replace dentures
- They are uncomfortable
- There is a risk of them slipping while eating
These are some of the advantages and disadvantages of some of the popular tooth replacement options. You can discuss about the other options with your affordable dentist in Limerick or in your neighborhood.